Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chicken Salad Pita


Every once in awhile I like to cook extra chicken with the intention of using it later in another dish. That is just what I did last night. I made boneless, skinless chicken breast in the crockpot.

It was very simple.
I just used double the amount of chicken, some for last night and some for tonight. I seasoned the chicken with garlic powder, pepper and celery salt. Added water to the bottom of the crockpot and cooked it on low for 6 hours.

Last night we had broiled chicken sandwiches with some sliced chicken, mayonnaise, hot peppers, lettuce and pickles and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Yummy.

Now tonight I am fixing chicken salad with the leftover chicken breast.
This afternoon I mixed the salad. Here is what you need:
2 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
2 ribs of celery, sliced or chopped fine
2 thick slices of onion, chopped
1 dill pickle, chopped
dash of salt and pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise


mix this all together and put it in the fridge to blend the flavors for awhile.
I put this in the fridge for 3 to 4 hours. It is also good for lunch the next day.


This is what it looks like before you put it in the fridge:



When you are ready for dinner you simply pull this wonderful chicken salad out of your refridgerator. The pita bread is easy to use, cut one in half and open very carefully. Lay a piece of lettuce in the open pita, spoon in some chicken filling. Repeat with the second half.
I put a homemade dill pickle on the plate too. They are a hearty garlic dill. Goes well with the chicken salad.
I served this with a fruit and jello dish on the side. Tonight we had bananas, pineapple and blueberries. You can use canned or fresh fruit.
This is a pretty light, yet satisfying meal.

1 comment:

  1. AND NO- she will not give the home made pickle recipe out... i have asked and asked. :)

    ReplyDelete